Blog Announcement

Indonesiana - Anything about Indonesia
Gadget and Stuff - Gadget review and opinion
Destination Asia - Travel review

I hope you enjoy the new format...

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Hi, my name is Suryana......

One noon this Ramadan, I was driving along Karang Tengah road towards Cinere to pick up my wife, when I saw this little boy sitting on the side walk of the road. He wore a black old t-shirt and a dirty green short pants. In front of him were a pile of cobek and ulekan batu (mortar and pestle made out of stone to grind cooking ingredients). Obviously, he was trying to sell them to the motorists who passed by that busy small dusty road.

I immediately remember my own daughter and son. I remember seeing them this morning laughing and smiling. I let them rode their bikes to attend ESQ class for children in one of our neighbour house nearby, they looked so happy... I couldn't imagine if they need to do what this little boy needed to do... Suddenly I felt so sad for this little boy.

On the way back after picking up my wife, I drove by the same road and I saw this boy again. I said to my wife that I wanted to pull over and buy what this boy was selling. She asked me whether I had enough money in pocket, I said yes and I stop on the side of the road.

I walked towards this little boy, he looked tired and sad, his eyes were gloomy as if there is no hope, no tomorrow. His skin was dark, a sign that he has been exposed under a sun for quite a long time. He sat on the side walk, covered by a thin white dingy plastic sack. There was no comfort at all as the thin plastic sack did not provide any cushion, if he wanted to keep his pants clean, it was too late already. I approached him, he was curious. I pointed at a small mortar and asked how much is it.

"Thirty five thousand rupiah" he said, "paired with the pestle"

I nodded, I didn't want to bargain at all. I asked what his name is and how old he is.

"My name is Suryana, I'm twelve years old"

From his voice, I know that this boy is far from happy. I felt sympathy for him and began to ask more questions. Such as, where he lives, how does he get there and so on. Below is his story.

He lives in Padalarang (a small city in West Java, almost 200 km from where he sits right now). He woke up at 4 in the morning and together with a group of 10 friends ride a small minibus to a truck base. He paid twenty thousand rupiah to the truck driver to take him to Cibubur (a suburb 40km from where we were) and again he took another bus to get here. If that's not tough enough for you, remember that you have to carry at least 50kgs of stone mortars in plastic sacks, and if that still not tough enough, you need to stop drinking and eating from dusk till dawn. If you think you cannot do it, imagine how this unfortunate kid has to do it everyday. If you wonder how he manages his study, the answer is he does not. He at the age of 12, already drops out of school.

I gave him fifty thousands rupiah, he said "..mm I don't have change.." I told him not to worry, he can keep the change. I wonder if he even have any previous customers at all today or even this week. With many food processors in the shops, instant recipes, not many people use stone mortars anymore, especially in big cities like Jakarta. If people have one, it must be inherited from their parents. I asked his permission to take photo, he didn't mind. After taking the picture, I went back to my car, I almost shed a tear.

Inside the car, my wife asked how much I gave him. I said 50 for a 35 thousand mortar. She said that's too little and I should give him more. So I went back and give him another fifty thousands rupiah, "This is for you transport money, and also to buy foods and drink to break your fast.." He was so surprised and grateful, I can see from his eyes, he said "...may Allah return your kindness.." I nodded and tapped his head, I wonder if he ever received a tender loving care from his parents.

"Be careful" I said and went back to my car.

"On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns. (Pray:) "Our Lord! Condemn us not if we forget or fall into error; our Lord! Lay not on us a burden Like that which Thou didst lay on those before us; Our Lord! Lay not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Blot out our sins, and grant us forgiveness. Have mercy on us. Thou art our Protector; Help us against those who stand against faith." Quran 2:286

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You remind me of myself

I was high school by that time
When I realize what were "cilok" seller are doing

They are young and clearly drop out of their school
I was almost shed my tear as well by that time remember people like them

Anonymous said...

hi, thanks sudah mampir..

Tukeran Blog link Yuk! Tulis alamat Blog mu di Buku Tamu (kolom sebelah kanan) kalau kita sependapat, maka Situs Blog mu akan dicantumkan di halaman ini.